Friday, June 5, 2015

#Gym-gist: What not to do...

Let's start with a fact: Going to the gym is truly a bigger challenge than some people make it seem. It's so easy to come up with reasons, note I didn't say "excuses" (which most may be), on why you don't need to go to the gym - today, tomorrow, someday or even ever. So let me start by applauding you if you've gone beyond registering to join a gym and actually gone into the gym and exercised. I know because for years I said my walk from the train station to my office or my walking through store aisles especially when grocery shopping was exercise - and all I needed.

It is a big step in the right direction and take so much willpower to go again the next day/time and again and again. Let me pause to put this in pun-spective: When you exercise again and again...it's A GAIN each time. Have you thought about it in those terms? It's scriptural too (see 1 Tim 4:8). So kudos to you if you exercise regularly gym or not.

Now for those who go to the gym, I have a suggestion of at least 2 things you should never do:

First things first: Never ever compare yourself to others. It's unwise to do that (2 Cor 10:12). Just focus on getting better at your exercise routine(s). Exercising has nothing to do with being better than anyone else and everything to do with being a better, healthier version of you. Full stop!

2ndly, never look in the mirror - or at least don't look regularly. During a recent visit to the gym, I caught a fleeting glimpse of someone in the mirror and thought: "she looks funny..." then realized "she's wearing the same thing as I am...oh she's me" or better put: "That's me." At that point I decided to make that resolution and write this #Gym-gist.

I'd love to also hear/read your "#Gym-gist" on this blog, Facebook, Twitter or by email directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...