Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Act quickly

2 Samuel 5:22-25
Again the Philistines came up and camped in Rephaim Valley. David prayed to the Lord again and got this answer: “Don’t go up the valley. Go around them to the other side of their army. Attack them from the other side of the balsam trees. When you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the balsam trees, you must act quickly because that is the sign that the Lord has gone out in front of you to defeat the Philistines.” David did what the Lord commanded him to do, and he defeated the Philistines. He chased them from Geba to Gezer, killing them all along the way. (Easy-to-Read Version, emphasis mine)
When I read this passage recently, my eyes and heart stuck with 2 words: "act quickly." God in His infinite wisdom knew that David may have wanted to reconsult and possibly reconfirm what the Lord had said with others - like some of us like to do with the excuse that the Bible says: "At the mouth of 2 or 3..."

David succeeded against the Philistines because he "acted quickly;" he had a window of opportunity within which to take action. I then started asking myself, and now you by extension, "How may times have I not succeeded in something because I dilly-dallied and dwaddled after hearing God's clear directions?" My family and I have both suffered loss by delaying action - unfortunately, I was the bottleneck in some of those instances. We've also enjoyed tremendous gains when I (we) acted quickly based on divine instructions.

One thing I learned from enduring losses and enjoying gains is you must know how God speaks to you and more, importantly, trust and obey Him (act) quickly - for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus.

Have you asked for and received divine directions? Congratulations - now ACT QUICKLY so you don't miss your window of opportunity. God prosper you as you proceed. AMEN!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...