Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Me, myself and I


In everyday life, it can be difficult to focus on yourself without seeming self-centered and selfish. I know that more than once I've said that "self-first is not selfishness"* - I know it isn't. Think about it, for you to be any good or of any use to anyone else, you need to be good and useful - which entails wholeness in your spirit, soul and body. You have to be equipped to "help" others.


A number of people who have been to my home have heard me say: "I don't do the work for four (4) people" - because I believe that every member of the family has a stake and a part to play.

Everyone, especially women who are almost always looking out for everyone else, needs to permit themselves to look out for and take care of themselves. I found 2 interesting quotes:

"Women in particular need to keep an eye on their physical and mental health, because if we're scurrying to and from appointments and errands, we don't have a lot of time to take care of ourselves. We need to do a better job of putting ourselves higher on our own 'to do' list."
~ Michelle Obama
"I have freed myself to put me on the priority list and say, yes, I can make choices that make me happy, and it will ripple and benefit my kids, my husband, and my physical health.
That’s hard for women to own; we’re not taught to do that.
It’s a lesson that I want to teach my girls so they don’t wait for their "aha" moment until they’re in their 30s like I was (laughs).
Maybe they can experience it a little earlier."** ~ Michelle Obama

In addition, to permitting myself to look out for and take care of me, myself & I, I'm consciously teaching my children how to look out for and take care of themselves and also to look out for and take care of others. I plan to lead by example in loving my neighbor as I love me, myself & I. 

References
* http://sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.ca/2011/05/self-first-is-not-selfishness.html
** Source: Liz Vaccariello. "Michelle Obama's Secrets to a Happy, Healthy Life." Prevention.com. 11/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...