Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Little things...

...can make a big difference.

I've always (sort of) known this but it struck me in a different (& big) way a few months ago when a colleague of mine said to me, "I like the last line in your 'out-of-office' notification." Wow - it was interesting that something I just added casually made such a difference to her (and maybe others). The first lesson for me was you never know who is impacted by the things you do. Put differently, "Don't be too big to do something small." (Max Lucado)

I'm sure I've perked your curiousity about what my last line is - some of you may have started guessing and that's good too. Let's read what others have said about little things first...since at the mouth of two or three witnesses every word is established. (2 Cor 13:1)

It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen. ~ John Wooden

Everyone is trying to accomplish something big, not realizing that life is made up of little things.
~ Frank A. Clark

We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee. ~ Marian Wright Edleman

The flip side of this is that: "A small leak can sink a great ship."  ~Benjamin Franklin
 
The fact is that little things matter - positively or negatively - they have a ripple effect.
 
The last line in my out of office notification was not "Have a nice day" - it was:
 "Make it a great day for yourself."

If I remember correctly, my thinking behind that line was that "nice," "good," or "great" days don't just happen. 

Indeed, your day can only be a nice/good/great as you choose to make/receive it.
It is up to you: having the right attitude sets you on the path to a high altitude of a great day.
On a daily basis, give yourself the gift of  "little things" to make each day a great one for yourself and before you know it, you'll have a great week, month, year and even life. 
God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...