Thursday, January 24, 2013

Listen or lose...

...and this applies to little things too.

Last year, more than once I'm so sure I heard the Lord warn me about something minor and I ignored Him...and paid for it.

By the end of the year, I had lost one earring each of 2 different pairs that I liked. To be clear, I can live without earrings & you know I don't like shopping so you can imagine how it is when you buy/get a pair of earrings you really like...and lose one.

The second one I lost (see "survivor" in picture) really upset me because the Holy Spirit warned me twice. The first time was when I was packing for some time away, He told me that I didn't need that particular pair of earrings. I felt that since it somewhat fit one of my tops I should pack it and I did despite the fact that I knew it was going to be such a quiet time that I shouldn't really need earrings at all or could do with one pair if I had to wear earrings.

The second time was when I was putting the earrings on. It was so cold that morning and I recall a soft-spoken "you don't need that pair of earrings today." Well as you guessed right, I still put it on and only noticed that I'd lost it when I returned from our outing.

During the year, more than once an earring stopper slipped from my ear and I caught both the stopper and earring in time. In retrospect I'm sure God was teaching me that He can prevent losses...even of minor things like earrings. As I pondered and wondered what I should learn from the losses, the Holy Spirit kindly said: "Listen or lose..." I then remembered a verse that one of my former pastors (Pastor T) used to quote alot.
Whoever is stubborn [stiff-necked] after being corrected many times will suddenly be hurt [broken] beyond cure [healing]. (Proverbs 29:1)^
I believe that God used small insignificant things to teach me a fundamental lesson...and one I'm not afraid to share because I don't want anyone else to make similar mistakes - even if in small things. The reason is simple: many small things add up to a big thing.

In Is 30:21, God says: If you go the wrong way - to the right or to the left - you will hear a voice behind you saying, “This is the right way. You should go this way [Walk in it].”^

God desires to direct us - and it is always for our own benefit. We're blessed when we hear & heed to God's guidance. Learn from me, please listen to (& obey) God even in little things otherwise get ready to lose out - God forbid! Wishing you a Happy hearing & heeding Year.

Source:
^ Expanded Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...