Tuesday, January 21, 2020

How and when will they learn?

This is a question that has been bugging me for years...long before I became a parent.

In fact, it has been my front burner for a number of years and is constantly on my radar.

The reason is simple:
I see or hear several adults doing things that should be and are easily delegated to children/teenagers in their sphere of influence (not only their children. I am aghast (actually, upset) when the response I get back when I challenge them on not delegating it is: "He/she doesn't know how to do it" or "He/she will not do it well."  And my response to that is: "How and/or when will they learn if you don't give them the opportunity to learn how to do it - if they do not do it?"

It is a well-known fact that all humans learn by doing. And when you think about yourself, you were not born knowing how to do chores etc. (let's not talk about if you want to do them at all).

"If you don't train them don't blame them" is a phrase that is used in the workplace that is fully applicable elsewhere especially at home. We cannot complain that our children do not know how to do chores - at all or properly - if we do not "train them" i.e. give them the opportunity to learn how to do them by doing them.

I remember several years ago when I was ("painfully") teaching my children how to do the dishes. Setting them up on a step-stool was the easy part. There were times when it seemed like it was the dishes that "did them" versus them doing the dishes ðŸ˜Š. More than once I asked if they were having a bath because of how drenched they were from doing the dishes. Not to mention how much cleaning up my husband and I needed to do after they had cleaned up. With patience and time, they learned how to do the chores.

With 3 weeks into this year, I encourage us to add "training children" to our new year resolutions. Remember if no one gave you the opportunity to learn to do the things you are now able to do, you would not know how to do them (properly). Please do the proper thing and give them the opportunity. In the beginning it will take time but with time, it will be time well invested and a time-saver for you.

Happy New Year!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...