Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Turn that grudge...

to gratitude...


A few weeks ago, I was just thinking about my life and the various expriences I have been through. Some "raw" feelings of grief were stirred when someone sent a What's App message "encouraging" us to send it to our Mothers. So I asked what we should we do if our mothers have passed on.

It's interesting how "raw" this loss is now and again. When I visit or speak with people who are bereaved, I usually say that: "I may not know how you are feeling but I know that grieving the loss of a loved one never ends..." From my personal experience, sometimes little things trigger it and the people around you may not understand what happened.

The other thing that happens is that you may inadvertently begudge your loved one for leaving... I know because I held a grudge against my Mum for a few years until I realized that living in unforgiveness was holding me back - and was not doing me any good.

Over the years, I have come to a place where I have turned what used to be a grudge to gratitude.

Being grateful is very uplifting. Like Zig Ziglar said, "Your attitude determines your altitude." While one doesn't go round "happy" that they have lost a loved one, the attitude of gratitude helps you realize that you were blessed to have that person in your life - for as long as they were there for.

It is a change in mindset that helps you set your mind more on the blessings that you had and enjoyed when the person was here versus getting depressed that the person is no longer here with us.

It is a wonderful way of  "grieving gratefully."

You can turn that "grudge" into gratitude.

Feel free to contact me by email if you want to talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...