Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Am I vain?

This question came up when 2 very different things happened

After I got ready for the day, one of my children said "You can't wear that to the bus stop." "Why ?!" was my sharp response. He went on to say "It's not 'busstoppy'." "Who will see me in it? " I asked...but didn't push for a response as we needed to head to the bus stop and I'm sure you know that I didn't change.

While on the train, I looked at my dress - which I like - and noticed that it had some "pimples." Of course, that was evidence of the fabric and usage. As I alighted from the train, I wondered some more about what my son said and appreciated the fact that he cared enough to look at me and what I was wearing - something they have learned from their father. However, that's not to say that he had a valid point, if he even had a point. On second thoughts, I said to myself, maybe I should convert this to a "Friday" outfit - whatever that means. As I pondered on that thought, I wondered, "Am I vain* - in caring how others think I look?"

The answer to this question and its irrelevance came quickly - very quickly. As I walked into the office, the receptionist said to me, "I like your dress." At that moment it was obvious that "No" I am not vain and "Yes" it is important to care about I look...and to care a little about how others think I look after all I am God's ambassador. Talk about vindication.

Later that day, something totally different happened. I saw a lady who I saw last week...and get this she was in exactly the same outfit! Jewellery and all. What?! Why? were the two questions that popped in my head. I quickly reprimanded myself. After all, what was my business with that? Yes, what's my business? Was that a trace of being vain? Hmm...

I thought about it some more and decided that I'm definitely not vain - just observant. Guess what I learned from these 2 experiences?

  1. Yes, you're right - I'm not vain.
  2. It is so easy to be vain if you do not rein your thoughts and actions.
May God, by His Spirit, continue to keep us - I mean me - in check.


Reference:
* Vain - "having or showing an excessively high opinion of one's appearance, abilities, or worth." (Google)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...