Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Watch what you eat...

...lest it eats you up.

My husband is never tired of reciting a Nigerian proverb to me: "It is what the bird eats, that it will use to fly." I know his focus is more on the "fly" than the bird - he'd never call me a bird :)
 
The point really is that we all need to pay close attention to what we eat - our stomachs are to be "fuel tanks" not trash cans. If, or rather, when you are careful of what you eat, what you eat will take care of you fully - in many ways. 
 
When I was thinking about this post, it struck me that if anyone eats the wrong thing(s), it will eventually eat the person up. Think about people who smoke... if they don't extinguish that habit, it will eventually extinguish them. 
 
I'd never heard this quote by Ann Wigmore - but it is something we must all remember as we get into the "feasting" season.
 
I know the Bible tells us to eat whatever is presented to us without questioning it.* That same passage tells us to ensure that when we eat and drink, that we do it to the glory of God. Putting the word to practice, God is not expecting that you'll drink alcohol if you're offered - because it will not glorify Him...and it is slow poison.
 
I also like this picture advising us on our eating vs. our exercise.
It was funny yet so apt when I found this picture. Earlier in the month, my husband was teasing about how some people (not me of course) go to the gym to burn calories and then go back home to "refill."
 
I know from people who have gone on diets to watch or reduce their weight that it's easier - and cheaper - to avoid adding the weight, than trying to subtract it.
 
Let me try to explain why/how mathematically: When one adds weight, it immediately multiplies. So if you try to subtract it, you never quite reduce all you added => let's try a simplistic example: 1 + 1 (weight added) * 2 - 1 = 3 versus 1 + 0 (no additional weight) *2 - 1 = 1.
 
So watch what you eat (and "add") in private...because you'll wear it in public and that's scriptural in a way.**
 
The last thing we need to remember is: Out of the abundance of what has gone into the mouth, the body shows... Some purses suffer for it - beyond new clothes, there could be health issues.

An English Proverb says: "Don't dig your grave with your own knife and fork." God forbid!
 
So please watch what you eat! 
 
Wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas!!
 
References:
* See 1 Cor 10: 25 - 31
** Luke 12:3 - Whatever you have said in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have whispered behind closed doors will be shouted from the housetops for all to hear! (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...