Thursday, April 17, 2014

Let's go and "SPAVE"?

I'm sure you've heard or know, possibly from experience, that not everything that's seems good is "good for you."

"SPAVing" is one of those things.

Recently, a colleague introduced a number of us to a new concept: "SPAVing." It was such an attractive and interesting way of explaining shopping - which is some women's favourite past time. And the concept was even attractive to me and I don't like shopping. The pitfall is one can easily go overboard when SPAVing. Have you figured it out yet? SPAVing made up of 2 words: Spend and Save.

While it's always good to save, it's easy to feel that the best way to save is to spend more especially when we we see those "2 for the price of 1" deals and many people fall into that "trap" many times.

If you find yourself wanting to spend just to save, then there's a problem. The right mindset if/when you must spend, is to ask yourself: "How can I save?" As you include this in your SPAVing, you’ll find that there are times when you actually save by waiting and not spending at that time.

I'm always amused when I hear those "Today only" deals that seem too good to pass off. And then if you listen to the TV commercials that say things like: "if you call right now, we'll send you 2 for the price of one, just pay separate shipping and handling." Oh really? Well, stay on that channel for a couple more hours - and even days or weeks and the "NOW" is evergreen.

I believe that the better way to live is to focus on saving and constantly questioning yourself when you feel drawn to a "SPAVing opportunity."

The other thing that I've found that helps me without fail is asking the Lord to order my steps when I go shopping. I have many examples* - the most recent one was my spontaneous shopping trip to avoid going out when the weather was colder. Just before dashing out, we prayed as usual and I added "and please lead us to good deals." Everything went as planned in the first store - we bought all we needed. After paying for our things at the second store, I remembered I needed - ok more like wanted - to get another pair of shoes. Well, there was nothing for me in the Ladies' section so I walked through other aisles and found good deals, better put a "gold mine":
Yes, I found things we needed at over 90% off . What an answer to prayer! Indeed God answers prayers - because He's interested in every detail of our lives even things that you think are "insignificant" in the general scheme of things. Have faith and pray about everything...

Remember:
6Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.
19 And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.**

Ok back to the topic...
When you decide to save - or withhold from spending or even SPAVing, don't be "cent-smart & dollar dumb"*** because that will cost you much more than you thought you saved.
My advice: Save regularly and spend wisely.****


References:
*You may also want to read:
http://sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.ca/2009/11/spiritual-lessons-from-shopping.html
http://sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.ca/2009/11/more-spiritual-tips-from-shopping-trip.html
http://sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.ca/2011/04/oh-no-i-dont-believe-itit-cant-be.html
http://sapphire-and-beryl.blogspot.ca/2009/12/watch-it.html
** Phil 4: 6, 19 (NLT)
*** This is my coinage; the original idiom is: "penny wise and pound foolish" which refers to someone who is very careful when spending small amounts of money, but careless when spending much larger amounts of money.
**** Prov 21:20
20 The wise man saves for the future, but the foolish man spends whatever he gets. (Living Bible)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...