Thursday, March 20, 2014

Talk is cheap...

...Walk is steep

This hit me one day while I was thinking about how much and how quick people are to talk - and talk and talk. It's almost as if talking is all we need to get things done. In fact there are some "conversations" I've been involved in, or shall I say witnessed, that are just as Margaret Miller described them: 

"Most conversations are simply monologues 
delivered in the presence of a witness."
Too many people like hearing their own voices but are not as passionate to add work to their words. One of my previous pastors, Pastor Tony Rapu, used to say:
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
That statement struck me and has stuck with me. I'm sure you'd also agree with Howard Berman that:
"The focus should not be on talking. Talk is cheap. It must be on action." 

It's paradoxical that I have to talk, actually type, so much about how much talk doesn't have or add (much, if any) value when not backed up with action. Talking is definitely easier than walking our talk. In some cases, walking our talk can be steep because we sometimes (for some people, sadly it's most times) don't believe or mean what we say or expect that we'll do the talking and others will do the walking (& sometimes working) to align with our words. 

There is no doubt that actions speak louder than words so we need to really think about what we will do before we expend energy on talking. An example that comes to mind is how often people say things like:


"You're in my (our) prayers."
"We'll (I'll) come and visit you" 
"Just let me know what you need so I can help."

This same rule applies to New Year resolutions -  which some of us may have made (or broken already). Talk about "talk" without walk.

With 300 days left in this year, we all have an opportunity to make our actions count rather than counting our words. May your "walk" (actions) make more impact and take you further and higher this year than your talk. May this advice guide you each day:
"Make the most of today. Translate your good intentions into actual deeds." Grenville Kleiser



No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...