Thursday, October 10, 2013

Seeing better than Monk...

A few years ago, I got "introduced" to an outstanding detective: Adrian Monk.
Watching him at work is both exciting and enlightening. The saying "there is more than beholds the eye" is so true for this man. A few months ago, I watched an episode (Monk and the Candidate) where Captain Stottlemeyer said:
"I see all he sees but I don't see what he sees."

That phrase struck me because that is truly the distinguishing factor - it's the trait that makes him stand "head and shoulders" above other detectives and the reason why he is always called to help out on difficult cases. The phrase reminded me that a lot of times we don't see ourselves as God sees us...which we why we cannot and do not accomplish all that He has intended for us to.

The first time someone mentioned his inadequacy, God had to send someone to accompany him - see Exodus 4:10-17. The next time someone commented about another person's inadequacy, that individual demonstrated that he saw himself through God's eyes - see Saul & David's conversation in 1 Sam 17: 31-49.

When God was commissioning Jeremiah, He reprimanded Jeremiah for bringing up an "inadequacy." Let's read Jeremiah 1: 4-12 4Now the Word of the Lord came to me saying, “Before I started to put you together in your mother, I knew you. Before you were born, I set you apart as holy. I chose you to speak to the nations for Me.” Then I said, “O, Lord God! I do not know how to speak. I am only a boy.” But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am only a boy.’ You must go everywhere I send you. And you must say whatever I tell you. Do not be afraid of them. For I am with you to take you out of trouble,” says the Lord. Then the Lord put out His hand and touched my mouth, and said to me, “See, I have put My words in your mouth. 10 I have chosen you this day to be over the nations and the kings, to dig up and to pull down, to destroy and to throw down, to build and to plant.” 11 And the Word of the Lord came to me saying, “What do you see, Jeremiah?” I said, “I see a branch of an almond tree.” 12 Then the Lord said to me, “You have seen well, for I am watching to see that My Word is completed.”*

It is so important to see as God sees because without faith we cannot please Him (Heb 11:6**). God watches His word to ensure it comes to pass - but it's up to us to put God's word to work... When we speak the Word of God, it gets to work on our behalf and we see what we have spoken. Living in the "speaking and seeing" realm, you'll look at the same things as others but see it all differently...and yes, you'll see better than Monk and definitely live a victorious life. God bless.
 
 
References:
* New Life Version
**Hebrews 11: 1 & 6 - 1Faith means being sure [the assurance; or the tangible reality; or the sure foundation] of the things we hope for and knowing that something is real even if we do not see it [the conviction/assurance/evidence about things not seen] 6 [And] Without faith no one can please God. [For; Because] Anyone who comes to God must believe that he is real [exists] and that he rewards those who truly want to find [earnestly/sincerely seek] him. (Expanded Bible - italics, mine)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...