Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Old school

I was just thinking about how some of us are referred to as "old school" - and I don't mind. A smile spread in my mind & on my face when I thought about it - and even as I type this post.

As I thought about it I remembered a common children's anti-bully phrase: "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words/names will never hurt me." Now I know that words & even names matter a lot but the point of the phrase as a confidence booster is taken... The whole essence was to help children remain calm and kind even if others weren't. Can you believe that this phrase dates back to 1872* - and it's still relevant 140 years later? Wow!

I'll rein myself in before I go off to talk about building a lasting legacy...which we all should.

The term "old school" refers to those of us who are deemed old-fashioned/traditional in our ways and it is completely scriptural if you ask me. The wisest man who ever lived advised:
"Do not move an ancient boundary marker that your ancestors set in place."** 
So there is something about particular boundaries...that God expects us to keep intact.

Now there are some things that were done in the past that were not in line with God's Word or His Will. So we need to make sure that we are only keeping the right things intact. The easiest way to know which ones should remain or be "replaced" is by checking God's word.

As Christians, we need to be "rooted" in the way we do things - not shifting our stand with the fashion or ways of the world. An example that comes to mind is the unfortunate prevalence of males and females living together with the excuse that they are saving for their marriage. The Bible is clear that a man shall leave his mother and father to be joined to his wife - not to his girlfriend or even his fiancee.*** The world around you may not approve of your "old school" ways - what should matter to you is that God approves of you...that is the only way you can be a true Christian through and through. We should be like Paul who said: "Now do you think I am trying to make people accept me? No, God is the one I am trying to please. Am I trying to please people? If I wanted to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ."**** Be a proud & bold "old schooler" within the boundaries of the Word of God.


Sources:
*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sticks_and_Stones_(nursery_rhyme)
**Prov 22:28 - God's Word Translation
***Gen 2:24, Matt 19: 5-6; Mark 10:7; Eph 5:31
****Gal 1:10 - Easy-to-Read Version

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay put...not out

When this common quote: "Go where you're celebrated not tolerated" crossed my mind, the first 2 words in the title "resp...